Art & Antiques News
- Current value of Empire couch is only about $150 November 18, 2017Condition, condition, and condition. It's one of, if not in some cases, the key element in determining value of an object. Furniture Detective Fred Taylor speaks to this in regard to an Empire co […]Fred Taylor
- 17th century bodhisattva finishes at $60K, five times its estimate November 17, 2017Finishing at five times its high estimate, a carved wooden figure of a bodhisattva in the lotus position dating to 17th century China, rose to $60,000 to lead all lots in A.B. Levy's recent Jewel […]Antique Trader Antiques Auction News
- Trading spurs for a brown basket pays off to the tune of $55K November 17, 2017A retired dentist living in Texas recently turned a pretty profit on a brown basket he acquired 25 years ago in a trade for a pair of spurs and a few dollars. Get the scoop... The post Trading spurs f […]Antique Trader Antiques Auction News
- Free Vintage Thanksgiving Place Cards November 15, 2017Enjoy a special gift from the Kovels — free printable vintage-style place cards for your Thanksgiving table. There are six different festive designs on one sheet. Just download, print, cut, add the na […]
- Silver Serving Pieces for the Thanksgiving Table November 15, 2017Unique silver flatware serving pieces meant to serve specific foods have been made since Victorian times. Make the meal even more special with some of these pieces. Read more... […]
- Happy #whatsitwednesday! November 15, 2017Be the first to guess what the pictured item is by leaving a comment below. If you have your own whatsit, our editors can include it in a future post. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and att […]
- Fright Show: Peabody Essex Museum Examines the Art of Horror and Sci-Fi Film Posters November 17, 2017Through November 26, in Salem, Massachusetts Read More The post Fright Show: Peabody Essex Museum Examines the Art of Horror and Sci-Fi Film Posters appeared first on ARTnews. […]Colin Fleming
- Auction Items: Flipping a Kerry James Marshall, Day-Sale Surprises, and Jeff Koons Oddities November 17, 2017Kerry James Marshall Smashes RecordAs you may have heard, Leonardo’s Salvator Mundi (ca. 1500) brought the house down at Christie’s New York on Wednesday night, selling for $450.3 million—the most eve […]The Editors of ARTnews
- ‘Queer Califas’ at Long Hall, Plummer Park, West Hollywood, California November 17, 2017See images from one notable show every weekday. Read More The post ‘Queer Califas’ at Long Hall, Plummer Park, West Hollywood, California appeared first on ARTnews. […]The Editors of ARTnews
The cameo image is from Ms. Cinamon's book Estate Jewelry, 1760 to 1960. The article is from Collector's Weekly. It provides an overview of antique periods and styles along with many other articles on various areas of collecting.
The downward trend in furniture prices is explained well by the Antiques Trade Gazette. While not necessarily good news for sellers, it is good news for buyers. The antiques industry is cyclical just like any other industry. What is down today could be up tomorrow. The chair is on exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum. It is executed in the Regency style and dates to 1804.