Art & Antiques News
- Macy’s Parade a holiday tradition November 14, 2019Part of the cultural landscape since 1924, the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York has become as traditional a part of the holiday as turkey and stuffing. This year’s parade will kick off at […]Kris Manty
- Three steps to antiques marketing success November 14, 2019This is a question all antiques dealers should ask themselves: Do you have products looking for a market, or do you look for products that fit your market? Most of us in the antiques business are prod […]Wayne Jordan
- Nutmeg has a spicy past; graters are also valuable collectibles November 14, 2019One of the favorite spices of Thanksgiving and Christmas is nutmeg. And unlike the many foods commonly associated with the Thanksgiving feast, like sweet potatoes and marshmallows, nutmeg was actually […]Kris Manty
- Oddities, Unusual and Quirky Collectibles November 13, 2019There are always some strange and even weird things listed in our price books. In our newest book, the 52nd edition “Kovels’ Antiques & Collectibles Price Guide 2020” By Terry Kovel and Kim Kovel, […]
- It's #whatsitwednesday! November 13, 2019Be the first to guess what the pictured item is by leaving a comment below. If you have your own whatsit, our editors can include it in a future post. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and att […]
- Iconic Photograph Sells High November 11, 2019This photograph of one of the most famous images in American history sold at a recent Heritage auction for $30,000. Our thanks to those who have served and continue to serve our country. Rea […]
- Ashley James Makes History as First Black Curator Hired by Guggenheim Museum November 14, 2019She was the lead curator of the Brooklyn Museum's presentation of "Soul of a Nation." Read More The post Ashley James Makes History as First Black Curator Hired by Guggenheim Museum app […]Alex Greenberger
- Shanghai’s Profile Is Rising. How Long Before It Becomes the Go-To Art City in China? November 14, 2019"Energy had been building up," one dealer said during Shanghai Art Week. Read More The post Shanghai’s Profile Is Rising. How Long Before It Becomes the Go-To Art City in China? appeared fir […]Sophie Hastings
- New York Gallery Files Suit to Block Return of Ancient Artifact to Italy November 14, 2019The bust—dubbed Head of Alexander the Great—was seized last February from the New York gallery by the Manhattan district attorney. Read More The post New York Gallery Files Suit to Block Return of Anc […]Tessa Solomon
The cameo image is from Ms. Cinamon's book Estate Jewelry, 1760 to 1960. The article is from Collector's Weekly. It provides an overview of antique periods and styles along with many other articles on various areas of collecting.
The downward trend in furniture prices is explained well by the Antiques Trade Gazette. While not necessarily good news for sellers, it is good news for buyers. The antiques industry is cyclical just like any other industry. What is down today could be up tomorrow. The chair is on exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum. It is executed in the Regency style and dates to 1804.