Art & Antiques News
- Is choice overload affecting your sales? July 11, 2019Retail customers are delighted by an abundance of choice. They ramble through antique shops “oohing” and “ahhing.” One well-researched theory of why retail customers walk out without buying anything p […]Wayne Jordan
- Unfolding the saga of the Hitchcock Chair Co. July 11, 2019The Hitchcock Chair Company was an industry leader and innovator in both the 19th and 20th centuries. After a fascinating history, it folded—again—in 2006. The post Unfolding the saga of the Hitchcock […]Fred Taylor
- Antique Hatpins: Stylish self-protection July 11, 2019It’s not everyday a woman’s fashion accessory gets to pull double duty as a weapon, but according to advertisements in noted magazines such as Harpers Weekly, from the late 1890s to about 1920 that’s […]Melanie Carnation Thomas
- 10 Strange-But-True Ways to Clean Antiques with Food July 10, 2019Say no to toxic cleaners. Look to your pantry for ways to clean your collectibles. Ten tips from Kovels. Read more... […]
- Happy #whatsitwednesday! July 10, 2019Be the first to guess what the pictured item is by leaving a comment below. If you have your own whatsit, our editors can include it in a future post. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and att […]
- "Three Cheers for the Red, White and Blue!" July 3, 2019Celebrate America's birthday with a vintage Fourth of July postcard. Collectors love old postcards and cards by Ellen Clapsaddle are especially desirable. Read more... […]
- Novelist Ahdaf Soueif Resigns from British Museum’s Board, Citing BP Funding, Labor Issues, More July 15, 2019The decision comes in the wake of the museum's director saying it would not cut its ties with the oil giant. Read More The post Novelist Ahdaf Soueif Resigns from British Museum’s Board, Citing B […]Claire Selvin
- Report: Haus der Kunst May Eliminate or Outsource 48 Part-Time Jobs July 15, 2019The move would slash two-thirds of its part-time workforce. Read More The post Report: Haus der Kunst May Eliminate or Outsource 48 Part-Time Jobs appeared first on ARTnews. […]Claire Selvin
- ARTnews in Brief: Jenny Holzer Honored by Creative Time, and More from July 15, 2019 July 15, 2019A continually updated post of goings-on around the world. Read More The post ARTnews in Brief: Jenny Holzer Honored by Creative Time, and More from July 15, 2019 appeared first on ARTnews. […]The Editors of ARTnews
The cameo image is from Ms. Cinamon's book Estate Jewelry, 1760 to 1960. The article is from Collector's Weekly. It provides an overview of antique periods and styles along with many other articles on various areas of collecting.
The downward trend in furniture prices is explained well by the Antiques Trade Gazette. While not necessarily good news for sellers, it is good news for buyers. The antiques industry is cyclical just like any other industry. What is down today could be up tomorrow. The chair is on exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum. It is executed in the Regency style and dates to 1804.